Old August 18th 04, 04:40 AM
scurry

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Curtl33 wrote:

While soaring is a sport, and it is competitive, I have a real hard
time viewing the participants as athletes. If you can sit in a lounge
chair for hours on end, playing Nintendo with a joystick, you've got
the athletic stamina and dexterity to be a gold medal soaring pilot.

I don't think you will get a single serious racing pilot in the world
to agree
with this assessment.

I think a lot of them would agree, but they'd all point out that
"stamina" and "dexterity" aren't on the list of things it takes to be a
good racing pilot.

And because of this, I don't think of soaring as an Olympic sport. It is
primarily a very mental/intellectual sport, not a primarily physical one
like most (all?) the olympic sports I'm familiar with. It isn't about
flying a sailplane well, for example (like an aerobatic pilot), it's
about guiding the glider to the right place at the right time, meaning
where the lift is.

I agree, but to paraphrase another poster, if it can be sold, and more
importantly can sell, it'll be good enough for the IOC.

Shawn

P.S. I've known a very good Laser racer who was decidedly un-athletic.
Curling, archery, and shooting are pretty light on athleticism as well