Old May 4th 04, 02:31 PM
David Megginson

John R Weiss wrote:

While holding may be infrequent, it usually comes up at an inopportune time when
it does come up. So, it's worth keeping up your skills. I've recently had to
do a "360 for spacing" on approach into HKG, and have had to hold a couple times
at Point Reyes on arrival into SFO (B747). Also, holding is a good technique
when you're not quite ready to start an approach IMC; just ask for a turn or 2,
and get yourself prepared after established.

Here's another nice holding trick that my IFR instructor taught me. If you
are concerned about (unforecast) ice in a cloud layer that you have to climb
through, or if you have to fly over water directly after takeoff, ask for a
climbing hold at a navaid close to the airport (it's called a "shuttle
climb" in Canada, but I don't think the U.S. has a term for it) until you
either get above the clouds or get to a safe gliding altitude for flying
over the water.

If you do start picking up ice during the climb, you'll be either lined up
for an approach (if you're holding over the IAF) or right over the airport.

I think that this is a normal IFR departure procedure for some airports in
mountain country, but I have no mountain flying experience.

To the original poster, I am very sorry to hear that you busted the first
part of the checkride, but you should be proud of yourself for going on and
finishing (and passing everything else). You've proven to yourself that if
something goes wrong in a real-life flight some day, you won't get
distracted and fall to pieces, but will keep focussed and finish your flight
safely: that might be a lifesaver.

All the best,

David