Old June 21st 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Cherokee 140 - LASAR vs. Powerflow vs. Laminar Speed Kit

Hey Guys,

So my annual on 'Julie' (A Cherokee 140) is coming in substantially
lower than expected, and it looks like I'm going to have about 4k in
funds freed up that I had already budgeted to spend.

Of course, the sensible side of me says I should save the money for
Fuel... but what fun is that?

So... The situation is, new owner (first plane), considering mods. The
cowling is already apart and cylinders are off, and I'm wondering if I
should take advantage of the moment to install some goodies.

She already is getting the AMR&D 160 hp mod.

So... question is - which should I get?

I've heard lots of good things (mostly on here and in articles) about
the LASAR and Powerflow. They seem to do the same thing, Neither ads
appreciable weight to the aircraft, and both promise about the same
(reduced fuel consumption, better climb, more power). Powerflow is a
bit more expensive, LASAR is a bit newer (unproven?). Can any owners
comment?

The laminar Speed Kit is the lowest price (for parts), 2300 for fast
pants, airleron and flap seals, hinge fairings and wing smoothing...
I'm afraid that the wing smoothing is going to demand a repainting
though, and that's a bit more than I'd like to spend. But it is
another option.

A fourth option would be to spend the money on avionics (currently the
plane is a simple VFR, Intercom + KX170B and KT-78)... To be honest
though, I live out west, and I really think that aside from getting my
IFR ticket, I wouldn't have much use for cool panel toys.

If I want cool gadgets, I'll buy an ipod... I want my plane to fly- so
my first priority is on stuff that makes it do so better.

I find it interesting that all of these packages are about the same
price (once installation is included), all do about the same thing
(through very different means)... Which one would best help Julie
complete her mission as a light-duty, economical VFR cruiser?

Thanks for whatever input you may have (even the 'spend it on fuel'
camp)