Old March 18th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Water in the fuel

On Mar 15, 2:56 am, Ron Garret wrote:
It occurred to me today that in fifteen years of flying I have never
once found water in my fuel when I've drained my tanks. Not a drop.
Ever. Am I just lucky, or is this really as rare an occurrence as it
seems to be? (I fly in SoCal. Maybe that has something to do with it.)

rg

I've only had one serious occurrence of water contamination, right
after refueling at a little airport just northwest of San Antonio. I
generally always sump my tanks after refueling, especially at strange
airports, and this time I got about a full cup of ugly brown water out
of one tank and a half cup out of the other. I complained to the FBO
and they were were rude to me for having dared to complain about their
fuel. I've never been back to that airport ever again. Three guesses
which airport that was... hint there's only one immediately due
northwest of the city.

I have seen the occasional drop or two from condensation, and also
whenever I wash my airplane (lots of water from a garden hose over the
tops of the wings) I'll get a drop or two. I've never gotten any water
from flying thru rain.