Old June 20th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default Less Gloom

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

Somehow a version of my "Gloom" post (which I also posted on the
Cherokee Pilots Association's "Cherokee Chat") ended up in Phil
Boyer's in-box.

AOPA President Boyer apparently questioned Piper's management about
the status of Piper's support (or reported lack thereof) of our
"ancient" aircraft, prompting the following statement from Mark S.
Miller, Chief Corporate Spokesperson of Piper Aircraft, Inc.:

"Contrary to rumors, inaccurate representations and misinterpretations
in respect to Piper Aircraft's position on parts availability, Piper
has not and will not set a cutoff date for spare parts availability.
Published reports that Piper President & CEO Jim Bass announced such a
cutoff are unfounded and untrue. Piper maintains a total of more than
15,000 active spare parts and manages a total of approximately 25,000
spare parts. Our goal is to try and support all certified models that
we have produced in our 70-year history whenever possible."

In other words, "...we won't do anything to negatively impact the ability
to unload our existing inventory..."

[...]
In my opinion, Mr. Bass was either floating a trial balloon idea about
cutting off support for old, out-of-production aircraft, or he just
got carried away during his speech and injected his own personal
opinions. Either way, this reaction -- sudden, vociferous, succinct,
loud, and unanimous -- from the pilot community has effectively and
surely shot it down.

Suddenly, there is less to be gloomy about!

I didn't "hear" anything different from your original post, Jay.

Neil