Old April 12th 04, 04:07 AM

I have seen flying used R22's as low as $25K. I think you should look
around before spending $120-$140K on one. New, they go for about
$180K the last I checked. There is a 1200 hour major service that
costs about $80K to do. I hear it involves relplacing a lot of
expensive parts such as the main gearbox, rotor blades, etc.

The reason they are more money than a prop plane is because there is a
lot more to them and also because of product liability insurance. Its
a lot easier to get in trouble with a helicopter than a fixed wing.
And to add further insult to injury, fixed wings usually can carry a
great deal more cargo weight and get better mileage too.

Dennis.

NewsMonkey wrote:

I was told recently that a used R-22 Beta goes for around $120-$140K.
If this is true, why are they so much more expensive than prop aircraft?
Thanks.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm