Old October 11th 05, 12:18 AM
Nyal Williams

I couldn't find your Procedures on this website.

At 03:12 10 October 2005, Rex wrote:
We utilize double tows at Williams Soaring Center quite
routinely.
Due to our location at sea level in the Sacramento
Valley, pilots
require a 20-25 tow to the Mendecino Mountains. This
requires a 20-30
minute round trip for the towplane. The double tow
obviously cuts the
lauching of the fleet in half. The set up time with
a competent staff
is negligible.

You can read more about our double to operation at
www.williamssoaring.com
and the Valley Soaring Association link.

Rex Mayes

The subject of double tows has been discussed a few
times. I've re-read
the old threads and I have the gist of how it's done.

It's a little unclear from the old posts if double
tows are a
reasonable way to get gliders in the air more quickly
in the course of
routine launching. On our busiest days, my small club
finds the wait
for a single tow plane too long. No other tow planes
are available.
And, while we are generally enthusiastic about ground
launch, it is not
an option at our site.

So, assuming plenty of ground crew and competent pilots,
will double
tows overcome the extra set up time ?

Is anyone out there routinely using double tows ?

Doug