Old November 5th 07, 11:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" wrote in message
Well after watching the Ken Burns series THE WAR ad naseum ad naseum,
I thought I'd come into the group today with one of my curious questions.

What did your parents, family, etc. do in the big WWII.

Mine worked at the Canada Car foundry in what was then called
Fort William, Ontario.

They were inspectors helping to make Hawker Hurricanes and later other
types of figthers including the Curtis Helldiver.

How about your folks.....

Dad was a Canadian in the RN operating radar. Mum was a student at Lisgar
Collegiate Institute learning, among other things, to shoot in case push
came
to shove (the school had an indoor range on its fourth floor) and
occasionally
babysitting Adrienne Poy. Maternal grandfather was a sergeant in the Black
Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada, until he was hit by a truck in
the
blackout in England and crippled. His wife was a social worker in Ottawa,
working with families who had lost loved ones or who were having them
returned
as wounded. Paternal grandfather ran the timber mechanics laboratory at
Princes Risborough for the Royal Aircraft Establishment, and was the man
who,
before the war, proved the concept for the plywood construction of the
Mosquito. His wife ran the household and prayed for a son running an oil
refinery in Egypt, another leading a troop in the Royal Canadian Hussars,
and
for my dad in the RN (she was spared having to worry much about her
daughter,
whom they packed off back to Canada in 1939 to finish her schooling in
Montréal).

Leading Seaman Philip Alfred Conrad Chaplin ashore in Mombasa, Kenya, between
his stint in battleship QUEEN ELIZABETH and in submarine depot ship ADAMANT.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ldg Seaman PAC Chaplin Mombasa 43.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	19169