Old December 31st 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Dec 31, 8:05*am, John Cochrane
wrote:

The same standard class glider stalls in the low 40s and is perfectly happy
thermaling at 45-50.

Not mine, at least not when ballasted. Most of my flying is done
where the thermals are small cored and often rowdy. 50kts would only
work in a very smooth thermal that was big enough to use a low bank
angle.

However, the D2 which does seem to climb well at low speeds seems to
be really sensitive to being towed slow, at least that I understand
from one of the local pilots. Maybe D2 owners could comment on that?

Andy