Old December 13th 18, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Space Soaring

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:34:22 PM UTC-8, CindyB wrote:
I have it on pretty good authority that Mojave is the place to be tomorrow,
if you want to see a really big glider go really, really high..... N202VG.
The fellow who pays the bills was hosting dinner in the same cafe where I was served tonight.
Pretty cool, since I got to watch the first three private space flights from here also. Guess I will have to be out early to watch and listen on 133.65.

I was there for N328KF's first 328000 ft high flight, coming from New Zealand on about four day's notice.

You may recall.

One highlight of that trip was sleeping under a desk in XCOR's offices and then getting up at 5 to help Aleta (RIP) cook bacon&eggs for the folk who'd slept in the hangar .. or I presume in nearby hotels in the case of Niven and Pournelle and a couple of ex-astronauts.

I had a nice 15 or 20 minute chat with Steve Fossett that day too. He was standing in the crowd along the flight line like a regular person. While I was talking to him, Richard Branson walked past on the other side of the barrier, surrounded by half a dozen guys in dark suits, dark sunglasses, and earpieces.