Old December 26th 03, 05:47 PM
Marc Ramsey

Ted Wagner wrote:
Can anyone familiar with the WinPilot product tell me whether my DeLorme
Earthmate GPS Receiver (with DB-15 serial interface) will work with it?

Actually, the Earthmate has a DE9 (a.k.a. DB9) serial connector, and it
is not compatible with WinPilot (or any other glide software), as it
emits only Rockwell binary protocol, not the more common NMEA.

If not, what advice would you offer regarding iPac (or other pocket PC)
models, and portable GPS devices to use with WinPilot?

If you don't need to send GPS data to any other devices, the simplest
combination is a Dell Axim X5 combined with a CompactFlash GPS unit.
See the following websites for possible setups:

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/index.htm
http://www.craggyaero.com/

Marc