Old December 21st 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Replacement for DAFIF Airspace Data

2KA wrote:
All,

I've just embarked on a project to extract US (CONUS) airspace data
from the FAA National Airspace System Resource files and process it
into more accessible formats (such as OpenAir and Tim Newport-Peace).
This is a little more complicated than it sounds, because the NASR
uses ESRI shapefile formats for Class B-E airspace, and the conversion
isn't straightforward. I do, however, think it is possible, and I
expect to complete the project before spring flying begins.

I'm also working on extracting airport data from the same source into
turnpoint files. I should be able to produce .CUP and .NDB turnpoint
files from the NASR data by springtime as well.

When I'm done, I'll submit the results to the Worldwide Turnpoint
Exchange.

You'll be in my prayers for the entire 2008 season!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org