Old February 4th 04, 12:44 AM
EDR

Ace, you need to get out more!

I fly my 1945 no electrical system Champ into Class B/C/D airspace
quite often during the year. And that's just the controlled airspace
fields. I also frequently fly into and out of uncontrolled airports
without using a radio.

It is really fun to watch pilots following do a go around because they
haven't paid attention to spacing. I fly my approaches at 65 MPH/56 KTS
on downwind, 60 MPH/52 KTS, and final at 55 MPH/48 KTS.

Considering that this is at the stall speeds of the most common,
modern, single engine aircraft, you are either going to have to fly a
pattern at slower than normal airspeeds or fly a bigger pattern.

On the other hand, I fly my patterns low and tight, so as long as there
are not many aircraft in the pattern, I will be on the ground and clear
of the runway, by the time you turn base.

Following traffic on final, if I am abeam the numbers, I can fly a
right 270 to a short base and land. My airplane will turn a 360 in less
than 300 feet.