Old January 9th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default In Memory of Dan Neuman

In Memory of Dan Neuman

While researching Dan Neuman's contact information for a friend who
wants to get current again, I learned of the news of Dan's last
flight. At the moment I am weeping over our tragic loss, but I feel
compelled to contribute something to his memory.

Dan returned me to flight status in 1996 after 17 years away from
aviation. It was his patient, thoughtful, and insightful tutelage
that enabled me to return to life in the third dimension. Later, in
1998, Dan trained me for my instrument rating. I recall well one IMC
flight to KVNY that February second.

Two dripping wet flight instructors burst into the Royal Aviation
office loudly remarking about their turbulent flight in the storm
going on overhead that afternoon. They were exuberantly remarking
about how bad the weather was, and how it had been nearly impossible
to remain in control of their little Cessna 152. Dan looked at me and
asked if I still wanted to fly our scheduled lesson. Not knowing any
better, I thought it was a good opportunity to get some more actual
IMC experience, so I said yes. We'd be flying the Archer with a
little heavier wing loading, so it should be a bit more stable. Dan
was game, and I trusted his judgment, so we got a SID and launched.

The ceiling was low, and there was a lot of convective activity, but
we managed to bounce along in the gray-black clag through KLAX Class
B. The KLAX approach controller sounded like a non-stop auctioneer
without waiting for pilot acknowledgements to his calls. His
intensity added to the tumult we were all experiencing.

I was fighting to keep within 30 degrees of our assigned heading as
the turbulence tossed us back and forth. It was the roughest flight I
had ever experienced, and I was clammy with perspiration from trying
to retain control. Dan was cool, and let me keep at it without
interfering.

Things finally settled down a bit as we were cleared for the KVNY
Runway 34L ILS approach. There was a pretty good cross wind component
and it was still very gusty. We broke out of the ceiling lined up
with the runway centerline, and as I was about to touch down, a gust
nearly blew us off the western edge. Dan was calm and cool. Thanks
to his courage and confidence, I now knew what to expect when I had to
face real-weather IFR conditions. That sort of preparation is
priceless.

Dan was a real prince. He never bragged, or behaved boisterously like
some arrogant pilots. He maintained his cool, professional, cordial
demeanor, and I've always tried to emulate his thoughtful prudence as
a pilot. He's with me on every flight; still today I hear his terse,
calm instructions as I ply the skies. Dan "The Man" Neuman may no
longer walk the Earth, but he lives in the hearts and minds of the
hundreds of airmen he trained.

Dan said it well:

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY (month - year etc.?)

Whenever we talk about a pilot who has been killed in a flying
accident, we should all keep one thing in mind. He called upon
the sum of all his knowledge and made a judgment. He believed in
it so strongly that he knowingly bet his life on it. -- that his
judgment was faulty is a tragedy, not stupidity. -- Every
instructor, supervisor and contemporary who ever spoke to him, had
an opportunity to influence his judgment, so a little bit of all
of us goes with every pilot we lose.

http://www.memorypost.com/post.php?id=334
Dan Neuman "Dan the Man"

http://www.memorypost.com/gallery.ph...4&imageid=1409