Old June 6th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default American decline in tech was: ENvironmentally Friendly ...

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:
So, do you have another example of scientific research that
is being moved offshore because it is illegal in the US?

Sorry to butt in (but this _is_ Usenet!) but I believe it is illegal
in the U.S. to perform any scientific research on Schedule I drugs
(as defined by the Controlled Substances Act) unless one can "get a
Schedule I research license from the DEA, an investigating new drug
(IND) approval from the FDA, a licensed commercial laboratory who
will provide you with the drug, and obtain approval of your detailed
research protocol from the DEA, the FDA and the Institutional Review
Board (IRB) of the academic location where the study will take place.
[...]
What is one to fear if he wishes to eventually do this kind of work?
Aside from the medical risks of exploring new drugs in humans, the
only certain risk is the law. Work with a competent physician, and
also with a competent lawyer. Or work in a country such as
Switzerland where research of this nature is considered a medical
matter, not a legal one."[*]

[*]
http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shul...l_research.htm

Well we as a nation have decided that Sked 1 drugs are a bad thing and have
regulated them as such. Now I have no knowledge of the law in Switzerland
but if just anyone can "research" drugs that are otherwise illegal then
there is a huge whole in the law that I'm sure is used to get out of trouble
when you get busted.