Old September 1st 03, 05:33 AM
Robert Little

Most starters on the Lycomings have a sticker stating that they require tear
down and lubrication every 200 hours or 6 months. The nosepiece is held on
by 4 bolts and the shaft and centrifigal bendix is easily slid apart for
inspection, cleaning and lubrication. You can get the copper/bronse sleeve
bushing at most auto parts stores to replace the nose sleeve. If the shaft
is allowed to wooble, it will wear very quickly and cause the bendix to
hang. These starters are just like the ones on the cars up through the '80s
and a good alternator shop/starter shop can do a very good job of
inspection for you. Technically, they can not repair/rebuild ($25) them
but your A&P can with parts that you get from the manufacturer. The motor
brushes can be replaced and the communicator re-cut which is easier on your
battery and cables. Very easy and cheap. That is why rebuilts/exchanges
are very cheap ($175) aviation wise. But rule #1, get it fixed quickly as
it will get very costly quickly. Hope this helps. RTL

"Wayne" wrote in message
The starter on my O-360 is not releasing when I let go of the starter
button. If I rev the engine slightly, it disengages at about 1500 RPM's. I
have sprayed silicone spray on the ring gear, and well as the bendix of

the
starter but have only started it once since and it still stuck. Is this
common? Is there a common fix? Has anyone had one apart? I'd like to know

if
the engine spinning faster causes it to disengage, or if it's only a a
spring loaded bendix alone. Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne