Old February 21st 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Post-Annual Flight

How were you able to fly in the meantime? A plane is not airworthy
without a working fuel gauge for each tank (91.205b9). Can one get a
waiver for this sort of thing?

In an incredible display of aviation daring...I placarded the gauge as INOP,
and flew the plane. I never use the fuel gauges for anything other than
passing reference, since we do everything by visual inspection and the timer
in our Garmin GTX-327 transponder. (A very handy feature that I never,
ever, expected to use -- but we literally use it on every flight.)

If I wasn't looking for something not working in the panel (a habit I've
formed after a decade of "maintenance-induced failures") I'm not sure how
long it would have taken for me to accidentally notice it wasn't working.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA