Old July 1st 05, 08:04 PM
Ken Finney

"David Odum" MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

What are the reasons that bikes aren't allowed on the grounds? We've

got
golf carts trying to kill us all day long, 7-car-trams threatening to run

up
our heels, parents pulling wagons or pushing strollers, and "courtesy

cars"
driving every which way -- but those of us who live in the North 40 all

week
can't peddle a bike to save our feet?

Jay,

I think that the Airventure policy regarding bikes during the show is
well considered and correct. It's not that I'm not anti-bike. Quite
the contrary, I love cycling. I raced bikes full time in the mid 70s
for four years straight and have more than 50,000 bike miles on the
road to date. Unfortunately, if bikes were allowed at Airventure
during the show there would be far too many people on bikes trying to
weave in and around the foot traffic, and I'd be one of them.

Last year was my first time at Oshkosh, and I understand that the weather
caused the attendance to be down 5 to 10% from previous years. I sure
would have hated to see bikes in the main areas, the congestion would have
been a lot worse. Lots of trams to ride. As for the out-lying areas, I can
see that bikes could be beneficial.