Old September 27th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Ward[_1_]

Default Self launch ultra-light sailplane

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I said I'd do this for a friend who is building his own
ultralight. He wants to design and build( me helping) a sailpalne that
fits the ultralight rules and is able to launch/sustain with a power
unit, he'd prefer electric. Any ideas or comments? Is ther anything
already out there being tried? Just remember I'm the messenger!

larry ( what am I doing) johnson

What kind of performance does he require? You might try taking a look at
Mike Sandlin's Basic Ultralight Glider page.
He uses bolt-together and rivet-together aluminum tube and cable
construction with some foam and a conventional fabric covering. His are all
out-in-the open flying, but a more conventional fuselage could probably be
built.
It's hang glider performance, but it can stay up all day, and it's cheap.
He doesn't offer plans, but he does document what he's done with very
detailed drawings, which are on his website.
http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm

Tim Ward