Old December 3rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default A shot in the Dark.

"Al G" wrote

Dark shots sometimes work...

Once upon a time, I was skiing in the sierras. I crashed and lost my
glasses in the snow. The
following spring a girl scout came to my door with the glasses. They had
been found in a creek bed a good 15nm and 4000' vertically from where I
crashed. They had evidently been carried in a piece of ice, as they
weren't damaged. They had my name on them, and the scout who found them
new us personally.

Good story. I've got a shot in the dark story, too.

I was working on my car, and dropped a socket between the grill and
radiator. I intended to go in after it, after I got done with what I was
working on. I forgot.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I had gone to Daytona Beach for spring
break with a couple college buddies. About the third day there, one of my
friends that had gone with me was digging in the sand, making a sand chair,
and found a socket. He showed it to me, and I recognized it as mine
immediately, and just to make sure, looked where it had lodged next to the
radiator, and it was indeed gone.

The day before, we had parked where he was digging, and I had almost gotten
stuck, and the spinning the front wheels got a bit of wheel hop going and
had shook it loose.

The socket had ridden from Ohio to Daytona, and had gotten loose where we
were digging the next day. What are the chances of that all taking place?

Long shots do work sometimes, indeed!
--
Jim in NC