Old January 7th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.navy
Mark Test[_3_]

Default Varyag aircraft carrier

"tankfixer" wrote in message
In article 01fc4d1c-6a6e-4840-b78a-f85f58d971a7
@j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 5, 9:04 pm, "David E. Powell" wrote:
On Jan 5, 8:14 pm, Dan wrote:

Chris wrote:
On Jan 5, 6:15 pm, frank wrote:

SOSUS was retired and shut down. Little thing with Walker giving
away
the candy store to the SU on how we tracked subs.

Completely wrong. SOSUS is still operational, though there are
fewer
NAVFAC's operating and now SURTASS is generally preferred: both
because of the operational flexibility that the T-AGOS have and the
vastly easier maintenance (and upgrade) opportunities that they
provide.

Really? Then how come the SURTASS fleet has been retired? We once had
over 24 ships, now there are 4.

And Walker doesn't really match the timelines for when the IUSS
(the
acronym for the combination of the two) started to decline: the
fall
of the USSR and the dramatic drop in the number of submarines we
needed to track in the open ocean does (the drawdown seems to start
in
the mid 1990's).

Chris Manteuffel

Back during the depths of the Cold War I thought it would have
been
fun to tweak the Soviet's version of SOSUS by deliberately sinking a
retired U.S. submarine in such a way the Soviets would detect it. It
would have been a gas to sit back and watch the Soviets going nuts
trying to figure out what happened.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Like a retired GUPPY (Or pre Guppy) sunk in a deep spot right near
their cable?

And reveal that we knew where their cable was, what it was used for
and perhaps that we were running submarines they couldn't detect into
their defense zone?

Not that we would EVER do such things.. ;')

SOSUS has been integrated into IUSS (Integrated Undersea Surveillance
System),
a small part of a larger network. So, SOSUS is still alive, but much
smaller due to
a much smaller ASW threat. Also, newer systems had to be developed to
counter
quieter submarines.

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/iuss.htm

Mark