Old July 8th 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Leader of the free world

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 05:01:33 -0700, markmocho53 wrote:

Martin- Which newsreader do you recommend?

I'm using Pan, which has been OK but is now apparently unmaintained - I
raised a bug via Fedora quite a long time ago but Pan hasn't been updated
since about 2017. Its available for all common operating systems (Linux,
BSD, OSX and Windows).

The fault which I raised is that sometimes when you hit 'send' you get
told that you haven't set a posting profile. So, you do a dummy update
(go look at your posting preferences, hit 'Save' without changing
anything, go back to your message and send it, which has always worked
this time round. So, it looks as though it sometimes stomps on its link
to the posting profile store and the dummy update reinstates the link.

Its strong points are that its fast and its facilities for blocking
authors and threads forever, or for a specified time, works really well.

The other really good newsreader I found, back when I still used Windows,
was Forte Agent - fast, nice to use, good author and thread blocking,
andcan stores any messages to tag for keeping locally for as long you
like. Its non-free but has a 30 day free trial period. However, it
appears to be Windows-only, which is a showstopper for me.

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird but didn't like it: its not in the same
league as their Firefox webbrowser. Firebirds GUI wasn't all that
wonderful, but the main problem is that it would periodically clear its
caches and stop working until reinstalled. Not good.

However, with NNTP slowly dieing, decent newsreaders are getting hard to
find.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org