Old November 1st 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Commercial Rating for Towing Gliders not needed? in US

On Oct 31, 7:54*pm, Pete Brown wrote:
On 10/31/2010 12:53 PM, T wrote:

In the US, a Private rated pilot can tow gliders. He cannot receive
compensation.
A private rated tow pilot can tow for club or commercial operations,
the tow pilot cannot be compensated.

It's not clear to me what basis you have for saying this. I would
caution you not to read in what is not there.

The pertinent parts of FAR 61.113 are shown immediately below and
explicitly *permit a private *pilot to tow for hire or compensation. RTFR!

Paragraph FAR 61.113 (a) spells out the general prohibitions against
compensation and then paragraphs b through g spell out the exceptions to
the general prohibition.

Sec. 61.113

Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (g) of this section, no
person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command
of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation
or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in
command of an aircraft.

(non relevant parts deleted.)

[(g) A private pilot who meets the requirements of Sec. 61.69 may act as
pilot in command of an aircraft towing a glider or unpowered ultralight
vehicle.]

Amdt. 61-110, Eff. 9/1/2004

Mostly, who can tow, is run by the insurance companies.

This is correct. Many insurance companies have higher requirements than
the FAA for towing generally and during contests as well.

--

Pete Brown
Anchorage Alaska

Going home after a long dayhttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/1325102827_f322928754_b.jpg

The fleet at Summit. Mt. McKinley is about 45nm away at 20,320 msl.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/4...cb8d2482_b.jpg

The 170B at Bold near Eklutna Glacierhttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/437324742_a216d7bb75.jpg

I'm curious about non-profit clubs that provide towing to commercial
glider operators. The CFIG/Commercial pilot is a club member, using
club towplane and resources, and charging for lessons and commercial
rides. I just don't want to see our club be on the hook if something
happens while he is on tow.

Brad