Old December 26th 05, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELT

"Bob Kibby" wrote in message
I don't think there are any.

Look at
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...t/ELT/ELT.html

scroll down the page to see ELT ME406 with 110-773 Whip Antenna, $998 or so.
It transmits on both 406 and 121.5. I think all the 406 Mhz PLBs (not
G-activated), are required to include a low-power 121.5 homing signal for
short range "homing" location.

There are 121.5 G-activated ELT's, like the AK-450, available for less than
$200. However, COPAS/SARSAT will not respond to 121.5 beyond 3 years. So
except for the contest requirement, I think it makes little sense to install
121.5 stuff now.

Prices should continue to drop on the 406, G-activated, permanent mount
ELT's. Hopefully a bunch before we are required to install them in powered
aircraft. For now, since I don't fly contests, a portable PLB for the glider
makes more sense since I'd like them to locate me rather than the glider.
Also, unlike the old 121.5 ELT's, the portable 406 PLB will remain viable
well into the future. Also, 406 is much more accurate, gets faster response,
and provides search personnel with more data than 121.5 stuff.

bumper