Old September 21st 03, 05:32 PM
Leslie Swartz

We had three (one was a 1907 repro) opn the ramp at Dayton General South
back in 1991. Local retired USAF 0-6 has been flying his for years. Don't
know about the most recently publicized repros, but methinks thay are not as
rare as the TV folks would have you believe?

Less rare now than in 1991 at least.

Steve Swartz

"John Carrier" wrote in message
Over the past couple days I've watched TV stories about a couple of

programs
to celebrate the Wright Centennial (Dec 17th) with reenactments of the
famous flight. The key ingredient to both efforts (are there more?) is a
reproduction Wright Flyer in 1903 trim. This is trickier than it might

seem
... the Smithsonian flyer was damaged after the fourth flight and was
modified several times between 1903 and its presentation to the museum.
Notes/blueprints are not extensive. It's obviously a challenge to reverse
engineer the machine to an authentic configuration, right down to the
engine.

The Wright Experience is sponsored by Ford, EAA and others. They've got a
towed glider and a flight simulator for training. Several pilots chosen.
Scott Crossfield is a consultant (and test pilot for the glider!).

The Wright Stuff appears to be smaller scale. Never the less, their

product
appears to be of similar quality and authenticity to the other program.

The
apparent lack of flight training (the guy is practicing in a Citabria)

looks
like a large hurdle. I suspect the flyer needs rather specialized

technique
compared to conventional aircraft.

Anyone know of any other efforts in the reenactment effort?

R / John