Old September 8th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Racing airspace "violation" question

On Sep 7, 2:58*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:28*am, "Larry Goddard" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message

:

On Sep 7, 10:22*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
A question for you racing rules makers out the

Does the closed airspace rule (loss of all points plus 100 pt penalty)
apply if, following a task abort on course (with enough distance on
task to score for the day), a pilot then overflies class C airspace
(legally, and in contact with approach, etc), enroute to a safe
recovery back at the home base?

I really don't understand why US has to have a different set of
contest rules from the rest of the world. The FAI rules seem far more
sensible when it comes to handling airspace.

Andy

OTOH, I don't know why the FAI has to use a different set of contest
rules from the US... *But that's just me I guess...

Larry
"01" USA

The CD and scorer's interpretation of the rules was that if a
contestant had taken a legal start and flown on course, the whole
flight must be conducted under contest rules, even after you have
abandoned the task.

I agree with Kirk, flying legally above closed airspace should not be
penalized after the task is abandoned.

Mike

For any flight for which you must turn in a log (i.e. any launch taken
from the contest site after grid time and before the day is canceled)
you may not enter closed airspace. You can violate closed airspace
and incur the penalty whether you start or not and whether the day is
canceled or not.

The SSA rationale is simple - great emphasis is placed on avoiding any
(even inadvertent) B, C, P, R violations within the context of a
sanctioned SSA contest. Although this was implemented before I was
elected to the Rules Committee, I understand that the thinking was to
avoid drawing FAA actions as a result of SSA sanctioned activities.
Others before me can provide additional background.

Another consideration here is that scorers already have enough work to
do without arbitrating "was the task clearly abandoned and when."