Old February 19th 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 12:15:07 PM UTC-7, Chris Rowland wrote:
The question to ask is would you send an average pilot solo in a Duo?

Chris

At 18:47 18 February 2018, Dave Springford wrote:
I think that you will find the primary difference between the Duo and

K-21
=
is energy management. Teaching students to manage energy and land is one
o=
f the keys to getting them solo in a reasonable amount of time. My club
pu=
rchased a Duo XL last year and while we have been training in K-21's for
10=
years, the transition to the Duo was not easy for some licensed pilots.

=
=20

It is much quieter than the K-21 so the noise feedback for speed control
is=
gone.

It is much slipperier than the K-21 so subtle changes in attitude result
in=
much larger changes in speed. Couple this with the lack of noise and
pilot=
s were finding themselves over 70 kts on final.

It carries more energy into the landing than does a K-21, although the
addi=
tion of landing flaps to the XL version resolves much of this.

Besides its handling and performance, another nice advantage is the
sideway=
s opening canopy does not result in burn marks on the instrument panel in
t=
he front and headrest in the back. We've sent an S3 vario back 2 times
for=
screen replacement because of sun burns that happen almost instantly

when
=
the sun is in the worst possible spot for a K-21.

Yes, I would send a student solo in a Duo Discus. But a better question is how much longer would it take to get the student to solo standard vs a K21.. I am not sure what the average amount of flights to solo would be in each aircraft but I am certain it would be more in a Duo. For the sake of argument, lets say it would take 5 more flights to solo in a Duo. If you have 10 students, you will need 50 more flights from your instructor group. If that is not a big deal than get a Duo. If like most clubs your instructor time is at a premium then get a K-21 (or 2-33,L-23).