Old April 16th 19, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

On 4/15/2019 10:55 PM, wrote:
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:27:40 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
I know the pilot well and have had a lot of discussion with him about
this.

Snip...
As a postscript, I'm not so sure that having detent stops for open dive
brakes is really a good idea. I'll think about that some more. I may
decide to remove the detents. I suspect that there are other variations
of the problem that I just had. It would be especially embarrassing if
something like this happened to me again.

Well done Steve. Confession is good for the soul or so I'm told. I still
have my old sack cloth and a pot of ashes if you feel the need for them.
Glad you are OK and the JS just a bit dinged.

Bill Hill

+1 on the "Well done..." salvaging a foot shot without physical injury to
yourself, and minimal injury to your new bird.

And, THANK YOU! for sharing the details and assessment with 'the gliding
world' so quickly and forthrightly. Having recently absorbed a JS-3 Flight
Manual (future crewdog) I'd noted the dive brakes' multiple detents without
giving further thought regarding in-flight pros/cons/potentialities.

Good old Murphy - a powerful guy...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com