Old February 20th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

Default Zen and the sticking RG-45 rod

Hi Harry,

I got my firebrick at the local block and brick store here in Southern
Illinois. I made a frame with old bedframe angle iron and filled it
with firebrick for my welding table top. Works a treat and cost me
about $6!

Puddle problems? Never dip the filler rod into the puddle. It will
instantly bring things to a halt. When welding iron and steel, just dip
the filler rod into the flame above the puddle and melt some off so
that it drips into the puddle. It must be molten when it hits the puddle.
Then just lead the puddle where you want it to go with
a little heat. It will follow the heat.

Sometimes, when torch welding aluminum I just flux the rod and
lay a bit of skinny rod along the seam before I weld. Then melt the
rod into the joint. Use this with real thin aluminum and you are not
so likely to blow holes in the aluminum! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport, PJY

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
It would seem that my last post drug out every old lurker that's ever
been on RAH (except Chuck... what's he up to these days?) Even BWB
sent me an unearthly vibe the other day.

But now that I have the torch, I've got a serious welding question.
Two actually. Number one is: anyone ever get firebrick from the Borg?
I've looked, but not scored any.

Second question: It seems that every time I dip the filler rod into
the puddle (shuddup and think about welding for a minute), every time
I dip the rod into the puddle, it sticks to the base metal and I end
up melting it off with the torch which I know isn't right based on the
shower of sparks. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?