Old July 24th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Google Earth Glider on Tow USAFA

On Jul 22, 9:03 pm, wrote:
Here is a strange one. Take a look at the glider over the end of
runway 36 at Seminole-Lake Gliderport in Florida. The glider appears
to be on tow but there is no towing aircraft? Doesn't look like a
motorglider? The shadow of this glider on the ground does not appear
to be small enough to place the plane very high and the position is
not going to put it in a normal pattern. Only thing left is a high
speed swoop into a climb and abbreiviated pattern and landing I
suppose. The field looks crowded but not so much as to be a contest?
Seniors brings in about 50 gliders. Something to ponder...
Sorry, don't have co-ordinates.

Soap-Box ON -- Took me a heck of a time finding the glider port. The
"map" on the Seminole-Lake Gliderport web site (http://www.soarfl.com)
is, in a word, useless. There should be a simple link to a MapQuest
or Yahoo Maps page. Great place to fly I hear, lousey web site. Soap-
Box OFF.

Anyway, after interpreting the directions show on the web site and
following along on Google Earth, the coordinates are;

28°24'28.93"N 81°50'16.72"W

Hint: Once you find a place within Google Earth, the coordinates are
displayed at the bottom of the screen. To make it easy to copy/paste
the info, simply click on the thumb tack (push pin) icon.

I think the large number of gliders are typical. Looks about the same
on Mapquest. As to the glider on tow? A motor glider?