Old September 6th 19, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default another crash

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 10:49:31 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
On DG with the one piece canopy, the head rest is mounted on the canopy, and one can imagine the effect of the canopy flying forward into the back of the pilots head, I removed mine from the canopy for exactly this reason after reading a previous accident report.

I have repaired a number of ships that have had hard nose down impacts. Not one of them had the canopy come off. The canopy frame, in all cases, stayed with the fuselage and broke in line with the other fuselage structural failures. The canopies broke away from the frame in many pieces. To get the pilot out one needs to get that frame, and the shards of canopy, out of the way.
FWIW
UH