Old August 28th 04, 03:06 AM
Gldcomp

This looks like a bunch of "America's Cup Boat Owners" discussing how poor
the performance of an olympic "Laser" is and how if you strech-it here,
change it there, it becomes an almost-Keelboat that goes faster than the
poor Laser.

Good grief, you guys are still missing the point altogether.

Go spend your millions and compete in the America's cup, stop bitching about
the Olympic classes and how poor they all perform.
Let the sailors with more merit prove their worth against tens of other guys
with the exact same equipment.

Applied to Soaring, where a possible "Olympic Class" may still happen one
day, the L/D DOES NOT MATTER.
As it happens with other olympic equipment, the design has to be made PUBLIC
and available to a central organizing body.
It has to be manufacturable in any part of the world at a reasonable cost.
External shapes and CGs have to be ABSOLUTELY the same.

Cheers.

"iPilot" wrote in message
I do not think that soaring community to trash current World Class. There

are some gliders out there
at least and there are competitions. And PW-5 seems to be a perfect glider

for beginning pilots in
clubs.

But I still believe that although the idea of the monoclass is very good,

the problem is the
relatively high cost of the glider with performance from the 60-s.

Therefore i propse a new
monoclass which is more performance than beginner oriented and which

should be our primary hope to
get the gliding into olympic games.

Objective:
To develop new monclass glider which offers the better or equal

performance per price when compared
to all current production and aftermarket gliders with L/D above 42.
Glider has to satisfy several general requirements
safe handling in the air and on the ground
a single design, stabilized for a period of years (proposedly 15 as in WC)
performance sufficient for badges & challenging competition
simple construction

Design objectives

compliance with JAR-22, Category U, including cloud flying
max stall 80 km/h at max mass, most unfavorable cg, airbrakes opened or

closed
airbrakes for speed limiting & glidepath control required
sideslip possible with brakes opened or closed
effective wheel brake
automatic elevator hookup
a "crash-friendly" panel
ddtwo-handed canopy jettison actuating releases on both sides
seat & harness good to 15g's forward
battery, oxygen, equipment restraint good to 20g's
adequate cockpit ventilation
retractable landing gear
no flaps or camber-changing devices
possiblity to use water or in-flight adjustable ballast
no restrictions in wingtip extensions
no blowing or sucking of boundary layer
maximum L/D: 40 or greater
max roll rate at 1.4 Vs = b w 3.5 sec (b=span in meters)
accommodate pilots to 6"4"
provision for non-disposable ballast
panel to hold ASI, altimeter, compass, 2 varios, T&S ind
space for radio, O2, battery, datalogger
winch, aero & auto launches possible & safe
rigged easily by two average people
easily moved on ground.

Otherwise applicable to FAI Standard Class rules

Just my stupid ideé fixe, but I hope that someone finds it interesting.

Regards,
Kaido