Old August 20th 04, 03:58 PM
Doug

Talk to an insurance agent. www.southwestaviation.com has an insurance
policy that is designed for owner/renters. It is sort of a
"semi-commercial" policy. Then there are the FARs. You might need 100
hour inspections, if you provide the plane and the instructor. If it
is just a rental, then I don't think you need 100 hours. Check the
FARs. It can be done, but the insurance is not trivial, about double.
But that is better than the 6 times that full commercial leaseback
insurance would cost. And you have to list each pilot as a "covered
pilot" before you are insured. So you are going to have to keep
calling your agent. If you get too many renters, it may kick up your
rate. Probably more trouble than its worth.

"Isaac McDonald" wrote in message ...
I am thinking of buying an airplane....I want to rent it when it is not in
use to recoup some of the cost of buying the plane. How hard is it to do
this? What are the insurance costs? How often do I need to get it checked
out by an aviation mechanic? How much is the maintenece? Do I have to go
through an FBO? Or can I just place a classified ad....eg. "plane for
rent...$50 an hour".

Thanks in advance.

Isaac