Old November 4th 04, 07:32 PM
Peter MacPherson

I never realized I was cross posting to ne.transportation. I'll
need to check this in the future.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Ron Newman" wrote in message
To the folks from "rec.aviation.piloting":

While postings about New England airports are certainly appropriate in
"ne.transportation", could you please spell out in plain English any
aviation
jargon that you use? A lot of us have no idea what ACK, STMP, Charlie,
Class
C, and the rest of your abbreviations mean.

"ACK" -- three-letter abbreviation for Nantucket Airport. IMHO, that
should have been obvious from the context.
"STMP" -- Special Traffic Management Program. Not so obvious, but it
would take more than just spelling it out to explain it. Suffice to say,
it's a way of trying to manage airport traffic.
"Charlie" -- in the phonetic alphabet, the word used for the letter "C"
"Class C" -- or, "Class Charlie"...a particular type of airspace, used in
areas with less air traffic than in Class B and with more air traffic than
in Class D (good enough for layman's terms, anyway).

Generally, you can find "plain English" for much of this stuff at
www.acronymfinder.com . For much of the other stuff, you'll mostly have
to do your own research. Google is a great tool. For example, had you
entered "class c airspace" as a search term for Google, you would (and
will) get way more detail on the term than I've provided here.

Personally, I think the cross-posting was not necessarily warranted -- the
topic seems most appropriate to ne.transportation, and not very much so to
rec.aviation.piloting -- but to expect those of us in
rec.aviation.piloting to explain every little aviation term just because
of the cross-posting is, IMHO, unwarranted. It's just not efficient or
practical.

Pete