Old August 8th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Maxwell

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

I would be more interested in the specific horsepower required to
operate powered parachutes than their efficiency. This web site
mentions 50 HP to 65 HP:
http://www.all-about-powered-parachutes.com/faq.htm

That's what I have seen. We even have a tandem trike locally that uses a
Subaru.

There is a 14 HP Powered Paraglider (PPG) engine offered he
http://www.poweredparasports.com/Par...#Jet%20Details
They also state that the weight of their engines ranges from 46 lbs.
to 68 lbs.

If a 14 HP electric propulsion system weighing 46 lbs could be
constructed, apparently it would permit the use of PPGs by pilots up
to 180 lbs.

I would think that would be close to the bare minimum. I flew a fixed wing
hang glider on 10 HP for a while back in the 70s. A Manta Fledgling, and it
was very underpowered. Maybe 100 fpm climb or so.