Old February 4th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default SLOL/LSA Expectations

Morgans wrote:
"Rocky" wrote

I am going to use a Suzuki 1300cc (70 hp) with a belt reduction unit.
I had a Samurai for 14 years with this exact engine in it.
On the freeway its almost full throttle and turning 36- 3800 RPM hour
after hour.
Will be the same RPM in the plane at cruise.
All up engine wt is about 50 lbs LESS than the VW.
I am still welding the fuse so have few pics

Sounds cool. I would love to see it, if and when you put some pictures
somewhere we can see them.

I have to admit having given that engine some consideration. Now, I have
been thinking about the Chevy engine they are putting in the Cobalts. They
have a model that is turbocharged that would make a really cool turbo
normalized setup. Good thing, if you put it into a LSA, and put a steep
enough prop to keep it under speed at low altitudes, and let it crank up at
altitude. Zoom! g

I wonder how the final cost and weight would compare to a Rotax 914???