View Single Post
Old January 3rd 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SSA 2018 Rules Finish Penalty

I will give you my take as a very new person to Soaring comp, but being pretty competitive person by nature.

To me the sport was about the use of energy given by nature and decision making to best use that energy. I think you can finish at any height and allow those as the two factors decide the winner.

In my limited experience I have had 2 situations that really gave me concern while flying - both at contests in the pattern to land after finishing.

One a guy after doing his high speed pass decided to slip between me and two guys in the pattern - I didn't see him come from below until he was way to close for comfort. Scared the crap out of me.

Another was a guy without enough energy to get into the pattern landed against the flow of landing gliders - it was hard to watch.

Sorry but I know there is a thrill of doing a low pass at high speed, but I am sure low pass finishes and inching onto an airport when there are 30+ planes with no engines trying to do the one and only landing they can do, is very smart or good for Soaring.

On non-comp days - I am all in!

WH