Old November 3rd 03, 07:06 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
It was Essex GC (UK - and the club I belong to), not Essex & Suffolk,
that also did pulley launching. We stopped several years ago because

Chris, of course it was Essex GC, not my first club Essex & Suffolk GC.

My first launches at checking out on the reverse pulley were a bit alarming
as the pickup truck was down for some reason and I was launched in the K-13
by a small displacement Vauxhall with a manual transmission. Each gear
shift was accompanied by the drogue chute ballooning on-to the nose. In
think we got 600ft and gave it up as dangerous. I later flew there with the
SHK as a day member.

The Cotswold system had no guillotine, but the small wheels had no energy.
The larger wheels of the Essex system were more likely to snarl in the event
of a wire break.

Piano wire was about 1/10 the cost of 7/7 wire rope IIRC.

Frank Whiteley