Old January 2nd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
F. Baum

Default flaps again

On Jan 1, 10:05*pm, wrote:

Do large jets ever land without flaps for any reason? I have never
seen big jets landing without flaps.. so I have often wondered if it
is something not recommended.

Not only is this not recommended, it is not allowed for a number of
reasons. First, the clean speed on most airliners is between 220 and
250 KTS, you would never fit into the pattern at these speeds and if
you were to touch down this fast you would use more runway than many
airports have, not to mention melting the fuse plugs trying to get the
thing stopped. Another biggie is that you only get 9 to 11 degrees of
pitch during flare before you get a tailstike. This is extreemly easy
to exeed without flaps. Even with 15 degrees of flap you can bottom
out the thrust reversers on several models of the Boeings.Reduced flap
settings also have a dramatic effect on the Quick Turn Around limits.
The brake tempurature has to be below a certain value before we can
begin a takeoff roll (To assure enough brake energy in the event of an
RTO). Some jets have a brake temp gauge, Boeing uses a graph that
takes into account HW/TW, RWY slope, landing wieght,temp and the flap
setting. The lower the flap setting, the longer you have to wait for
the brakes to cool and this can (And does in the summertime)
ocasoinaly result in a late push.
FB