Old February 8th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

Default Why airplanes fly

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

Yeager has had years to set the record straight and give Welsh the credit
that was denied him, but he hasn't done that. This not only denies Welsh
his credit due, but will eventually, as history sorts it all out, blot the
life of Yeager as well.
Both ways, it diminishes the accomplishments of two great aviation
pioneers.
There's a bit more to the story, but this is the skinny from my
perspective anyway.

I never liked how he treated other people, in general.

One case comes to mind, when he was asked to comment about the first around
the world un re-fueled flight, in voyager.

He dismissed it, very off handedly, saying, " that was no big deal. They
were not doing anything new, it was just an airplane that carried a lot of
fuel," or something to that effect. I don't remember the exact quote, but
it was along those lines.

I vowed that day, that I would never walk to the other side of a path to
meet him, hear him speak, or get an autograph.
--
Jim in NC