Old May 21st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ILS approach and VOR Alpha Approach video

On May 19, 11:51*am, Ross wrote:

Why wouldn't you use airspeed or altitude for pitch? It responds faster.

Not a matter of response I was looking for, but for me, being the
position of the needle being "level" visually was a cue that I was
level flight. If it pointed down visually, I would visually see the
nose of the plane down, and vice versa for climbs.

I just found it visually easier to interpret the attitude of the plane
using the VSI needle.

Of course, like you said airspeed will give you pitch information as
well as the RPM of the engine to even expand further (good
consideration for icing situations in my head anyway).

As Ross pointed out altimeter would also work, as after all an
assigned altitude is just that, straight and level, if it's going down
your descending and so on but VISUALLY, the VSI gave me a better
picture of my airplane attitude (pitch)

In my simple mind it worked well anyway :-)))