Old May 29th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default CFI oral intel

gatt wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
gatt wrote in

A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what

airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

He's obviously looking at getting an answer that it will be the same
speed, but that's not correct. It probably wouldn;'t be far off it

The answer he apparently wanted was 110 knots, but I would have told

him
-around- 110 knots.

Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control

stall. Is it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

If you're asking, Slip.

That's what I'd have told him. (If you're in a 30-degree bank and

your
outboard wing stalls you'll roll through wings-level but if your

inboard
wing drops you're increasing your bank even further.)

I don't know what the examiner wanted to hear, but, that's the answer
I'd have given him.

-c

Well, you're much more likely to spin out of a skid than a slip is what
he was getting at..

Bertie