Old May 31st 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default CFI oral intel

Michael Ash wrote:
In rec.aviation.student Dudley Henriques wrote:
Michael Ash wrote:
In rec.aviation.student Dudley Henriques wrote:
Michael Ash wrote:
It's only good if the person asking the question intends this sort of
discussion, though. My mpression from the original context was that
they were searching for a single answer ("110kts") and wouldn't anticipate
this sort of varied response. If true, then that transforms it from a good
question to a bad question. It always drives me nuts when there's a
question on a test which has a "right" answer but is actually a very
complicated question with a lot of correct responses.
Welcome to the world of the FAA :-))
Heh heh heh heh heh... you mean you noticed it too?

If you're following this thread, Michael and Hilton are not incorrect
even though I've chosen to disagree with them on this issue.
It's a complicated question that can easily get mired down in terms,
especially as the terms apply to stability issues with aircraft.
Under certain conditions, what Michael and Hilton have said would indeed
be correct. I've simply chosen to deal with the question as my
experience with the FAA is telling me was their intent :-)

Yeah, I get that. That's the whole trouble; there's a fairly large
universe of discussion about the topic but the question is apparently
intended to ignore most of it. Of course as you implied this isn't exactly
rare.

This brings up something every pilot should remember about "questions"
from the FAA.
The FAA by the very nature of it's purpose, is a black and white
organization. As such, they concentrate heavily on the black and white
area that encompasses the rules and regulations scenario. Their
"questions" in many cases, are questions that require a black and white
answer to "pass" the obstacle in the path of a pilot.
The problem with this approach is that flying an airplane is NEVER a
black and white situation. Flying an airplane, in every instance, is a
dynamic and ever changing environment where the answer to ANY question
can be A one second and B the next.

This places an unwritten responsibility on the CFI to insure that the
student knows what they have to know to pass the tests, but as well that
the student knows a hell of a lot MORE than the answer required to pass
that test

--
Dudley Henriques