Old June 1st 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Christopher Brian Colohan

Default CFI oral intel

gatt writes:
A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

Okay, I can settle the debate. I had this happen to me this morning.

I was flying my R/C plane, and the engine quit since I mis-estimated
the battery life. The plane started gliding fairly slowly, but soon
glided below the lip of a hill on the far side of the field (aka,
pilot may as well as been dead, since I had no control).

How fast did it hit? Must have been faster than I thought, since it
sheared the motor shaft clean off after landing in long grass...

Okay, perhaps this doesn't settle anything. Can we try this in MS
Flight Simulator to see what happens? :-)

Chris