Old July 22nd 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default US team silence

At 15:34 22 July 2018, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
Well, nice you sorta bring it up, and I have asked before on here,

what are
a couple/few things you think out WGC pilots are lacking based on

how we do
rules?

I have been looking for comments from US pilots that have flown

here and a
WGC.

You mention large gaggles.
I have thought team flying.
Maybe it's contest flight planning.

I have received some emails in the last couple years where certain

people
said, "well, we will be discussing soon, can't say anything now".
Can't say I ever heard back.

Just curious.

Ideally, in my mind, you need good team flyers who also are both
(or 3) equally comfortable in huge gaggle flying. The team flying
is especially important for the times when you get split off from the
gaggle. You really need both....though look at what Makoto from
Japan was able to achieve at the 2016 and now the 2018 WGC as a
single player. In the short winged "white tornado" gaggle classes,
gaggle flying ability comes first, then team flying. USA contests are
designed to minimize the gaggle flying, WGC's are not. Contest
flight planning? Not so much. You can start with an anticipated
game plan, but once you are on course, you have to run continual
decision making loops which will generate almost immediate
deviations from the original plan. The wx and situations can change
very rapidly, and you need to be able to shift gears and deviate from
the plan ASAP. Your decision making loop process has to be faster
than that of your competitors. That is where you get ahead, but
most of that is from what develops on course, rather than pre-flight
planning.

Simply my own first hand perspective / observations....

RO