Old May 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Keith W

"Eunometic" wrote in message
oups.com...
As far as I can see the only aircraft the allies would have that could
survive above German airspace and much of Europe would be the Mosquito.
The B29 would eventually come along but it wouldn't be available in
quantity till late 1944. Becuase of the high casualities the American
would have to cut their B17 based bombing rates in half and opperate at
higher altitudes. The lack of B24s means no Ploesti raid.

Only if you assume the proximity fuse is a 100% effective super weapon

Presumably Wellingtons could be fitted with two stage supercharged
merlins and a presurised fueselage.

Presumably NOT, a pressurised fuselage is a non trivial modn.

Basically I think you are right. Bombing altitude would increase from
the usuall 20,000-25,000 to 35,000-40,000 to avoid casualites. Medium
altitdue aircraft such as the B26 Marauder and B25 become outmoded.
German industry would reamin more productive and strong. Bomb gudience
becomes essential.

Reality intrudes here, you still need to aim the gun someplace
close to where the bomber is for the fuse to work, losses
would undoubtedly rise but the presence of proximity fuses
post war didnt halt bombing and the simple reality is Germany
would have to produce em by the million and lacked the
industrial capacity to do so.

Keith