Old January 4th 21, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 10:08:10 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Any comment Martin?

Thats pretty much how my club works. Get permission from the committees
to keep a glider on the field and, if they and the CFI are happy, do it.

However, the closest I've been to Poland was Sazena in the Czech
Republic. I a bunch of us were camping on the glider field there, because
it was hosting the 1997 Free Flight Model World Champs.

Learning to fly full-size gliders was still 4 years in the future for me,
but I did notice a well cared for Antonov A-15 in the hangar. I realise
I'm unlikely ever to have the chance to fly one, but its definitely on my
bucket list!

Besides, who can resist a good-looking all-metal V-tailed glider where
the trim control is a length of bungee, its ends attached to the bottom
corners of the panel and hooked to one of a row of hooks on the front of
the stick! As far as I can tell, its performance isn't a lot different to
a Std Libelle. Martin Simons quotes best glide 40:1, an ad for the one I
saw at Sazena claims 37.5:1 at 95 km/h - my Libelle is about 37:1 at
52kts (95 km/h), but the A-15 is a lot heavier at 320 kg.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org