Old August 26th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Default Fun toy to have

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:43:28 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote:

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

That's the point. MS has set at least 3 dates that will be the day that
XP can no longer be purchased and 2 of them have already passed.
Comparing Win2000 with XP is not really apples to apples. One is server
software. They are likely to be selling that when we are both dead.

The last sale date for standard XP from OEMs and software vendors (XP in a
box) was June 30th. I bought my new XP system on the 28th. Dell seemed to
be the only ones that were still selling XP systems on that date.

XP sales are still authorized for business systems, but they are
technically classed as a Vista system sale with a "downgrade option" to XP.
Basically, you get a system loaded with XP with a CD to upgrade to Vista at a
future date. XP is also authorized for sale on "low end" systems. Systems
that do not have the power to run Vista efficiently.

I think there's a hair being split here. What licence Microsoft will
sell you directly doesn't neccessarily equivelate to people who have a
stack of unsold Windows 2000 OEM packs laying around and will still
sell you. Good luck if you need a security patch or other support for
it once installed if it's not XP or Vista though.