Old December 7th 03, 06:08 PM
JimC

Interesting point. I do remember when I first started flying I thought the
AI should work like the turn coordinator. It seemed more natural for me to
think of how the plane was doing relative to the horizon rather than how the
horizon was doing relative to the plane. It likely varies from one person
to the next, but I think I would have been happy had the AI been built, as
you say, "outside-in".

"R&A Kyle" wrote in message
A typical AI display is "inside out", ie the view is from inside the plane
looking out. Some (Russian) aircraft use the reverse display, ie a fixed
horizon and a moving airplane graphic. Does anyone know of work done to
measure the human factors benefits / penalties of these two approaches?

BTW a turn coordinator is "outside-in", yet located next to the AI. Is

this
smart?
R Kyle