Old August 6th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Harbor Freight aircraft tools

"Copperhead144" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 2:16 pm, " wrote:
It was bound to happen sooner or later

Dog-leg Deburring Tool, $8, item# 98262-0AZH
4-piece countersink set, $15, item# 98263-0AZG
Microstop Countersink cage adapter, $15, item# 98264-0AZG
(The above items may be found on page 36 of Catalog 163-B)

Cleco Pliers, $4.50, item# 97346-1NYH
(see pg 21 of Catalog 663-B)

However... (you knew that was coming, right? :-)

When I tried to order the deburring tool Harbor Freight said it didn't
recognize the number. So I sent a message to their Customer Service
people to make sure they knew there was a market for virtually any
aircraft-related tools they might care to offer.

The squeaking wheel DOES get the grease... eventually. If enough of
you guys will follow suit we could probably get Harbor Freight to
offer virtually everything needed to fill an aviation metalsmith's
toolbox.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking -- I'm not a big fan of Harbor
Freight''s quality either. But in some cases Good Enough is all you
need. For example, I've found that a Chinese cleco costing a nickel
works just as well as one costing six-bits.

-R.S.Hoover

I couldn't agree with you more on the HF tool assessment Bob and I've
purchased more than a few tool's and such from HF for that very
reason. To my way of thinking if I've done my homework and know how
the tool should be made than I can make a selection and purchase that
leaves me with money for other materials. The more nickle's and dime's
I save equal's dollar's saved or better spent on other material's or
tool's. My drill press, clamps and many of my lathe tools have HF part
numbers.

Joe
I'll add my 2 cents worth. A friend re-built a 35' Jason sailboat right
along side my shop. He used HF drills and had a bunch of SS to drill,
mostly 1/8" and thicker.. Still has the same drill set. I would have bet
my butt that that set wouldn't last one day... Changed my opinion of HF
drill bits.

Stu